Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Weary Traveler(from The Playground of My Dreams)

It is late evening, and I, a traveler from the distant past, find myself lying down on a cool carpet of grass. The moon is old, having faded into the darkening sky. The stars are brightly lit in this diamond studded black abyss that has become a perennially familiar roof over this weary traveler's head. My nostrils sense a familiar odor. It's true, the smell of freshly mowed grass is much like the sweet odor of fresh cut hay in my father's fields from long ago.

Why have I come to this place and time? Much will be revealed in the days and weeks ahead. What I do know is that I carry with me the fragmentary moments and memories of many lives and many places that can stay with you for years, for decades, for millenia. These fragments are the sustenance for the weary soul of a traveler on a journey such as mine.


This is my offering for this week's Saturday Centus. This creative writing meme is brought to you by Jenny Matlock and her husband. We are given a prompt supplied by "Mr. Jenny" and are then challenged to add to that prompt in 100 words or less. The prompt words are italicized. I encourage you to explore the writings of all the creative geniuses who participate in this wonderful writing 'lesson'. Peace and blessings

Jenny Matlock

10 comments:

  1. I look forward to your weekly writing Jeff! You have a wonderful way with words my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it. Such descriptive words. I hope we hear from this traveler again. I think he has many a story to tell. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You split the prompt. Genius! And I so wanted you to say that you carried with you "the answers long awaited by all of mankind!"

    You paint such pictures when you write, Jeff. I could see that sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff ... splitting the prompt ... what an interesting choice ... your words are very ... sensory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Mr. Jenny going to give you crap for splitting the prompt? I hear he's a stickler for his rules!

    Lovely post evoking strong memories of what it's like to travel away and back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was lovely! Your description of the sky is amazing, and I can feel the cool grass on my back as I read this. Beautifully written. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've thought about splitting the prompt before, but you actually DID it...
    (a man of independent spirit with a sense of adventure)!

    Kudos.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you seperated the theme there. very clever and worked great.

    Thanks for stopping by my SC :)

    Tina from
    Mummy Diaries
    Gossip Avenue
    Travel Shack
    Game FreakZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great take on the prompt. Don't worry, if you get in trouble for splitting that prompt, I'll help you take the punishment. This was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK Jeff. I'm gonna have to be tough on you this week. You can write however you want with the prompt but if you're gonna link it you have to follow the rules...cuz that's what makes it a real challenge.

    As always, I love your writing. I just have to be tough here so we all follow the rules of the meme!

    Sigh.

    Being mean is so exhausting.

    ReplyDelete