Saturday, July 9, 2011

Home...Not This Time

Some years had passed since I had left home. I had wanted to visit many times, it was just that...you know...my parents and I had not truly 'gotten along'. I left home under less than desirable circumstances. Back then it felt more like an 'escape' than a simple departure. Over the years I realized that you cannot run away from your past, and cultivated the hope that 'time heals everything'.

I left the interstate, deciding to drive the rest of the way through the countryside and small towns along Rt. 66. The miles ticked away as I passed through familiar places...Venita, White Oak, Bushyhead...the small towns forever etched in my childhood memories...all unchanged. Just past Bushyhead, something however did change. The landscape was unfamiliar. Had the distraction of childhood memories caused me to take a wrong turn? I could see a road sign in the distance. As I got closer I could read it, and the sign read...Hwy. 666...

Jenny Matlock



12 comments:

  1. Oh, no! What happened to your family? Did they move or lose their home to emminent domain? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I presume the number of the road has significance in the area of terror (number of the beast?). Really eerie piece!Brill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jc,

    This is, as usual, true and touching. There is a softness in your words that makes for easy reading and (for those of us of a certain age), a sense of familiar feelings.

    Namaste..........cj

    PS - Do you have another blog? You are so talented, I would like to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...yes...eerie indeed. Not a good number to see, in ANY circumstance! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Downright creepy and sooooo compelling. I fear we've entered the Twilight Zone!

    (And I love it!!)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, thought I knew where you were going .... sly and clever you. Good writing [but you knew that]. Guess what ... got google fixed ... can leave comments again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be thinking of this story as I drive Route 66 in my old hometown this week.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes ... i also feel like we have entered the twilight zone ... and now i need the rest of the story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your eyes have deceived you because you are afraid of going home? I enjoyed this, but I wouldn't want to be on the road to hell either.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  10. QUICK! QUICK! Make a U-turn. Get off that road!

    Cool and creative twist to the prompt.

    ReplyDelete