Saturday, August 14, 2010

Home Away

It is sort of funny, and I have to admit that many times I have a general idea of what I want to write about for Saturday Centus before Saturday arrives. In a strange way it enhances the creative process for me, and thusfar it has worked, albeit sometimes in abstract fashion. Yesterday it came to me that I wanted to write about children, and then, lo and behold, Cheryl provides a most appropriate, prompted segue to my writing intentions. So here goes...


I had just finished checking and straightening in their rooms. As I left Billy and Jo-jo's room, thinking about what I could fix the boys for breakfast, I could hear their infectious, playful laughter coming from the yard.


Mine was the only true home these three boys had ever really known. Tommy, eight, was the oldest of the three, and had a keen sense of looking after his younger 'brothers'. They fit so well together as if they really were brothers.


Part of me wants to see them adopted by loving families, yet I know because of their ages this is increasingly unlikely. Young couples typically want babies that they can raise as their own, eschewing the older ones as if they are tainted or  "beyond repair".


I paused for a moment absorbing the beauty of their laughter and as I listened to them from my perch on the top step, I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry...


So, there it is...another installment for Saturday Centus. I have to admit that at one point it made me cry. I am adopted and know all too well the emotions that inhabit that 'territory'. If you know of someone, any age, that is adopted, give them a call, write them a message, hug them if you can...I know they would like that. And please be sure to check for all the other promising posts at Saturday Centus...some great stuff will be there...Peace and blessings


Jenny Matlock

15 comments:

  1. I love how you managed to work a "message" into your story. Very touching and effective.

    And I'm impressed that you take the challenge of Saturday Centus one step further and have an idea of what you want to write about before seeing the prompt. Perhaps someday, when I'm a lot lot better and ready for a bigger challenge, I'll try it too. You did a get a little gift this week with the prompt though.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heartfelt post to go with this prompt. You did great, and I will take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to write something about children this week - and you're right, the prompt was ideal.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and touching as well. I am opposite about Centus. I am blank until it comes and I DO look forward to Jenny's Centus. I am still pretty blank today though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the picture you painted. Family exists beyond those genetically linked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister is adopted, and I found this quite beautiful. Thanks!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff I was adopted by my Dad! I am lucky I always had my Mom but my Dad was the best Dad ever. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunningly beautiful Jeff! Look how many lives you touched so far. Wow. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this was an amazing Centus and your explanation so personal. It's a shame that more kids don't get adopted especially the older ones. Good Centus, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a wonderful story Jeff. I have a friend who has raised 2 biological girls to college age. She has now taken in over 10 foster children, and has adopted 3 that the state labeled "damaged". They are doing beautifully. Thank you for sharing such a personal story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great piece! Really liked the descriptions & the 'wholeness' of it! Brill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, Jeff, what a heartfelt contribution! Your words captured the beauty and joy of providing a home and love to a child! Thanks for sharing a very personal story!

    Malisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done, Jeff. As a former foster parent I can relate with this story. Great work on a very thoughtful and touching piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeff, You made me cry. I am touched by this heart wrenching post. How do you do it?

    Thanks for sharing..........cj

    PS: I never have a clue about what to write on Saturday until I see the prompt. You got ESP or something?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeff, another thought provoking use of the prompt.

    This is a subject quite dear to my heart. And I appreciate the emotions you evoked with your use of these perfectly crafted words.

    Thank you for linking.

    ReplyDelete